The Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) Internship Program is for current degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students looking to begin an exciting career in homeland security and intelligence. I&A offers internships in the functional areas of Intelligence Analysis, Intelligence Operations, Mission Readiness, Information Technology, and Data Science. The I&A Internship Program is designed to provide the experience and skills needed to produce capable and well-rounded Homeland Security intelligence professionals. I&A internships are located in Washington, D.C.
Office of Intelligence and Analysis
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the Office of Intelligence and Analysis. The internship application period for the summer of 2023 is now closed.
I&A interns are paid federal employees with positions ranging from GS-3 to GS-9 pay grades, based on education.
You must meet the following to be eligible for the I&A Internship Program:
- Be a current degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at an accredited university (as defined by the U.S. Department of Education),
- Be a U.S. citizen and able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance,
- Achieve and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above,
- Be 16 years of age or older,
- Complete Selective Service Registration if you are a male applicant born after Dec. 31, 1959.
DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully complete a background investigation and be granted a Top Secret/SCI clearance as a condition of placement in the I&A Internship Program. This review includes financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses, to include the illegal use or possession of drugs.
The Department of Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) is the premier source of actionable Homeland Security Intelligence and Analysis.
I&A is a member of the U.S. Intelligence Community and conducts the full range of intelligence functions, including collection and analysis. I&A focuses on equipping our partners with the actionable intelligence and information they need to keep the homeland safe, secure and resilient. Our goals are to:
- Enhance customer understanding of, and response to, threats to aviation security;
- Increase operational effectiveness against threats to the security of our borders;
- Inform operators and decision-makers on effective means to counter violent extremism; and
- Improve the integrity of our cyber networks.
For more information, please visit the Office of Intelligence and Analysis.
Interns are able and expected to return in subsequent summers if they continue to meet program criteria and performance expectations.
Interns will visit a number of DHS and Intelligence Community offices throughout the National Capital Region.
Do your skills fit the Intelligence Community? Check out the Intelligence Careers Job Exploration Tool to match your skills and experience to our career families.
There are a wide variety of positions available at I&A. If selected, I&A will try to place interns in the position that best suits their interest and skill level. Interns may have the opportunity to rotate to other parts of the Office as appropriate. Possible areas in which the intern may be placed include:
- Counterterrorism Analysis
- Cyber Threats and Cyber Security Analysis
- Counterintelligence Analysis
- Border Security
- Transnational Organized Crime
- International, Federal, State, Local and Private Sector Partner Engagement
- Open Source Collection
- Document and Media Exploitation
- Support to State and Major Urban Area Fusion Centers
- Policy Development
- Strategic Planning
- Program Management
- Performance Management and Decision Science
- Strategic Communications
- Graphics, Design, and Multimedia
- Budget, Finance, and Procurement
- Workforce Management
- Physical and Personnel Security Management
Information Technology and Data Science
- Information Assurance/IT Security
- Programming & Development
- Data Science & Visualization
- IT Engineering