You are here

Move to the United States

Foreign citizens wishing to immigrate and live permanently in the U.S. must comply with U.S. visa immigration laws, and specific procedures to apply for visas.

At DHS, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is responsible for immigration matters, including naturalization. Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Start Here

Begin at DHS/USCIS to Seek an Approved Petition

When applying for immigration status to permanently move to the U.S. you begin with a petition to USCIS. Applicants navigate the process with a range of help from USCIS including online and print-friendly guides which overview the process and eligibility requirements, and free in person information sessions for legal permanent residents interested in naturalization.

Should you have problems with your case at USCIS you also have access to case assistance through the CIS Ombudsman. The CIS Ombudsman may get involved if you have been unable to obtain a resolution to your pending application or USCIS petition despite repeated inquiries with USCIS.

Learn More

Complete Your Visa with the U.S. State Department

After the visa petition is approved at DHS/USCIS, it moves to the National Visa Center (NVC) at the U.S. Department of State for visa pre-processing. This organization collects fees, reviews documents and schedules interviews. Personnel at the NVC will contact the applicant with instructions on completing their formal visa application.

Special Situations

There are some special situations where the law provides for foreign citizens to move to the United States. This includes the the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP), which is an inter-agency effort, the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State to increase the number of Iraqi refugees admitted to the United States.

In addition, Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a temporary immigration benefit that allows qualified individuals from designated countries (or parts of those countries) who are in the United States to stay here for a limited time period. A TPS country designation may be based on on-going armed conflict, environmental disaster, or other extraordinary and temporary conditions in the country.



You can use the USCIS online tools and resources to manage your case.

You can check your case status, see case processing times, change your address, and more right on the USCIS website.

Last Published Date: November 10, 2021

Was this page helpful?

This page was not helpful because the content:
Back to Top