In an effort to keep DHS.gov current, the archive contains outdated information that may not reflect current policy or programs.
The Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction (CWMD) Office was established in December 2017 by consolidating primarily the Domestic Nuclear Detection Office, a majority of the Office of Health Affairs, as well as other DHS elements.
For current information related to CWMD, please visit the following:
The Workforce Health and Medical Support Division in the Office of Health Affairs leads health protection and medical oversight activities for the DHS workforce and coordinates with stakeholders nationwide to strengthen the emergency medical response system. OHA guides DHS medical services with medical expertise, oversight, credentialing, protocols, and standards. OHA medical and veterinary experts guide the department on health threats to ensure a ready and resilient workforce. And OHA collaborates with federal, state, and local emergency medical services stakeholders to ensure we can work together in a crisis.
Major programs and initiatives include:
- Behavioral Health and DHSTogether programs support the wellness and resilience of DHS personnel.
- Medical Countermeasures program helps protect DHS workers from biological and radiological threats so that they can protect and secure the nation.
- Medical First Responder Coordination programs help strengthen the EMS system at DHS and nationwide to prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies.
- Medical Liaison Officer program places senior physicians and medical specialists with DHS components to guide and support the health and medical needs of the component’s operations and its workforce.
- Medical Quality Management oversees DHS medical quality improvement programs and drives a DHS medical information management initiative.
- Occupational Health experts anticipate the health threats facing DHS employees and develop medical advice and guidance to DHS safeguard the workforce that safeguards the nation.
The Workforce Health and Medical Support Division is led by (acting) Director Leslie Holland.