In an effort to keep DHS.gov current, the archive contains outdated information that may not reflect current policy or programs.
This guide provides a list of the testing tools used in the DHS Section 508 Compliance Test Process for Applications. It explains the installation steps in detail, and important information to help you download the necessary components from the host websites.
For more details about using the tools, please refer to the DHS Section 508 Compliance Test Process for Applications.
For questions regarding the use of these tools, please contact the DHS Accessibility Help Desk via email at email@example.com or via phone at 202-447-0440 (voice) Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 p.m., U.S. Eastern Standard Time.
Web Accessibility Toolbar (WAT)
Web Accessibility Favelets (WAF)
WAF Version 2.0, June 2017
- Download Bookmarklets 3.x (For TT Process 3.x)
- Download WAF SS-4.x Server-side (For TT Process 4.x - Recommended)
- Download WAF CS-4.x Client-side (For TT Process 4.x)
NOTE: It is highly recommended to use WAF server-side to receive latest releases. Client-side is available for agencies or organizations in a closed environment with no internet access. If you opt for the client-side version, please check back frequently for future updates.
Color Contrast Analyzer (CCA)
- Download the Color Contrast Analyzer (CCA) tool (Used with all TT Processes)
NOTE: CCA is available in WAT 2012 and WAT 2015. Use the stand-alone CCA (download link above) if you are unable to run WAT within your environment.
Accessible Name & Description Inspector (ANDI)
For instructions on adding the current version of ANDI to your browser, visit the ANDI Installation Instructions page on the SSA.gov website: https://www.ssa.gov/accessibility/andi/help/install.html
Training Version of ANDI
Strictly for training and certification exam purposes, DHS hosts a version of ANDI that is updated only in conjunction with updates to the Trusted Tester training course content. To add ANDI to your browser, simply Drag and Drop this link: ANDI into your browser’s favorites/bookmark bar. For more detailed instructions, please see below:
- Ensure that Chrome's Bookmarks Bar is visible (Ctrl + Shift + B)
- Now drag and drop this link: ANDI to the Bookmarks Bar
- ANDI is now installed to Chrome and ready to be launched
Unfortunately, Chrome does not offer a simple keyboard accessible alternative to save a link as a bookmark.
- Ensure that Firefox's Bookmarks Toolbar is visible
- Right click this link: ANDI and select "Bookmark This Link". Add it to the Bookmarks Toolbar. Alternatively, keyboard users running Windows can tab to this link: ANDI, press ctrl+shift+F10 (which brings up a context menu) and select "Bookmark This Link". Add it to the Bookmarks Toolbar
- ANDI is now installed to Firefox and ready to be launched
- Internet Explorer
- Ensure that IE's Favorites Bar is visible
- Right click this link: ANDI and select "Add to favorites bar". Alternatively, keyboard users running Windows can tab to this link: ANDI, press ctrl+shift+F10 (which brings up a context menu) and select "Add to favorites bar"
- ANDI is now installed to IE and ready to be launched
- Microsoft Edge
- Because the version of Edge you have may not allow the direct installation of favelets (such as ANDI). As a workaround....
- Install ANDI to Chrome or Firefox
- Use Edge to import favorites from Chrome or Firefox
- Once imported, ANDI can be moved into Edge's Favorites Bar for quick launching
- Ensure that Safari's Favorites Bar is visible (Command + Shift + B)
- Drag and drop this link: ANDI to the Favorites Bar
- ANDI is now installed to Safari and ready to be launched.
Unfortunately, Safari does not offer a simple keyboard accessible alternative to save a link as a favorite.