The Counternarcotics Coordinating Council serves as an advisory body to the Director of the Office for Counternarcotics Enforcement (CNE), and to the Secretary on counternarcotics issues facing the Department. The Council is chaired by the CNE Director with membership including senior leadership from all key component agencies implementing counternarcotics mission.
The Charter states the Council shall perform the following functions:
- Consider and address counternarcotics issues affecting the Department;
- Address the adequacy of resources for narcotics interdiction efforts;
- Assist in the development, coordination and implementation of counternarcotics strategies, policies, and counternarcotics doctrine;
- Assist in counternarcotics resource identification and allocation throughout the Department; and
- Identify and address areas where greater cooperation among Department components can better achieve our national drug control objectives.
The Council has four component workgroups that ensure information sharing, faster identification of information gaps, and a reduction in unnecessary overlap on counternarcotics issues. The workgroups inform and advise the Council, CNE senior executives, and staff, regarding Department component and office capabilities, programs, and resources so the Department's counternarcotics plans and policies are coordinated and unified.
By mail or phone:
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Office of Counternarcotics Enforcement
Washington, D.C. 20528-0160