The Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC) leverages the experience, expertise, and national and global connections of the HSAC membership to provide the Secretary real-time, real-world, sensing and independent advice to support decision-making across the spectrum of homeland security operations.
The Homeland Security Advisory Council:
- Provides organizationally independent advice and recommendations to the Secretary, including the creation and implementation of critical and actionable policies for the security of the homeland.
- Conducts research and provides policy analysis and recommendations on a variety of security issues.
- Evaluates the impact of security related public and private policies in an attempt to formulate prospective security policies.
The Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC) provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary on matters related to homeland security. The Council comprises leaders from state and local government, first responder communities, the private sector, and academia.
CBP Integrity Advisory Panel
In December 2014, Secretary Jeh Johnson directed his the Homeland Security Advisory Council to establish the CBP Integrity Advisory Panel to provide findings and recommendations on the best practices from federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement integrity leaders. The Advisory Panel will address topics such as the progress in response to Use of Force reviews, identifying the best practices on integrity incident prevention and transparency pertaining to incident response and discipline. The Panel will also address ways that CBP can develop an effective capability for investigating criminal misconduct by evaluating CBP’s efforts to become an intelligence-driven organization in the context of current labor and management constraints, and make recommendations for CBP to facilitate enhanced participation among law enforcement and intelligence agencies within an interagency task force environment.
Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) Subcommittee
In September 2015, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed his Homeland Security Advisory Council to establish the Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) Subcommittee to provide findings and recommendations for countering violent extremism. Building on the recommendations developed by the HSAC Foreign Fighter Task Force, the Subcommittee will address a number of issues, including identifying opportunities or platforms useful for the Department’s facilitation of public-private partnerships with both technology and philanthropic sectors, and the development of new networks and a framework for sustained dialogue and engagement with those partners to include non-governmental sectors. The Subcommittee will also consider strategies on how best to work with education and mental health professionals to help parents and schools understand how they can counter youth radicalization to violence, and how the Department can inspire peer-to-peer attempts to challenge violent extremism through public-private partnerships.
In August 2015, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed his Homeland Security Advisory Council to establish a Cybersecurity Subcommittee to develop recommendations on existing and emerging cybersecurity issues. The Subcommittee will identify the readiness of our lifeline sectors to meet the emerging cyber threat and provide recommendations for building cross-sector capabilities to rapidly restore critical functions and services following a cyber event. The Subcommittee will further, suggest efforts to strengthen the security and resilience of critical infrastructure, and look at how the Department can provide a more unified approach to support state, local, tribal, and territorial cybersecurity. The Cybersecurity Subcommittee will provide its findings and recommendations within 12 months of Secretary Johnson’s directive to establish the Subcommittee.
DHS Grant Review Task Force
In November 2014, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed his Homeland Security Advisory Council to form the DHS Grant Review Task Force in order to assess preparedness grant program effectiveness. The Task Force will be shifting the focus from how much funding needs to be provided in different areas, to a focus on what that funding should be used for. The Task Force will consider the National Preparedness Goal to address the outcomes that the grants process is intended to achieve, the mechanisms that are best suited to achieving the desired outcomes, as well as levels of approach.
Foreign Fighter Task Force
In October 2014, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed his Homeland Security Advisory Council to establish the Foreign Fighter Task Force. The Task Force will provide recommendations on the foreign fighter threat and its impact on our homeland security. The Task Force will further provide recommendations on averting individuals joining foreign fighter efforts abroad and preventing those returning from engaging in violence within their communities. The Foreign Fighter Task Force will provide its findings and recommendations on a standing basis.
Privatized Immigration Detention Facilities Subcommittee
The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Jeh Johnson, tasked the Homeland Security Advisory Council to establish a subcommittee entitled the Privatized Immigration Detention Facilities Subcommittee on August 26, 2016. The Subcommittee will provide findings and recommendations to the Homeland Security Advisory Council on the Department’s U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) current policy and practices concerning privatized immigration detention facilities and evaluate whether they should be eliminated.
Recommendations to the Secretary
- HSAC CVE Final Interim Report, June 2016
- Homeland Security Advisory Council Final Report of the Cybersecurity Subcommittee, June 2016
- Council Letter of Support, March 2016
- CBP Integrity Advisory Panel Final Report, March 2016
- Grant Review Task Force Final Report, March 2016
- CBP Integrity Advisory Panel Interim Report, June 2015
- Grant Review Task Force Interim Report, May 2015
- Employee Task Force Report, May 2015
- Foreign Fighter Task Force Report, May 2015
- GRTF, ETF, and FFTF Transmittal Letter, May 2015
- Faith Based Security and Communications Subcommittee Report, June 2014 (PDF, 4 pages - 109.61 KB)
- Border Infrastructure Task Force Report, November 2012 (PDF, 25 pages – 222 KB)
- BITF Transmittal Letter, November 2012 (PDF, 2 pages – 101 KB)
- Homeland Security Advisory Council: CyberSkills Task Force Report, November 2012 (PDF, 41 pages - 574 KB)
- HSAC CyberSkills Transmittal Letter, November 2012 (PDF, 2 pages - 101 KB)
- Sustainability and Efficiency Task Force Report, September 2012 (PDF, 47 pages – 533 KB)
- SETF Transmittal Letter, November 2012 (PDF, 2 pages -121 KB)
- Faith Based Security and Communications Subcommittee Final Report, May 2012 (PDF, 25 pages – 1,564 KB)
- FBAC Transmittal Letter, June 2012 (PDF, 2 pages – 117 KB)
- Southwest Border Task Force Recommendations, October 2011 (PDF, 19 pages – 211 KB)
- Task Force on Secure Communities Findings and Recommendations Final Report, September 2011 (PDF, 33 pages – 696 KB)
- ICE response to Task Force on Security Communities Final Report, April 2012 (PDF, 20 pages - 948 KB)
- Community Resilience Task Force Recommendations, June 2011 (PDF, 59 pages – 694 KB)
- Southwest Border Task Force Recommendations, September 2010 (PDF, 16 pages – 326 KB)
- Quadrennial Homeland Security Committee – Final Report, May 2010 (PDF, 17 pages – 108 KB)
- Next Steps - Supporting Community-Based Efforts to Reduce Violent Crime (PDF, 2 pages – 26 KB)
- Countering Violent Extremism Working Group Recommendations, May 2010 (PDF, 30 pages – 174 KB)
- Sustainability and Efficiency Task Force Recommendations Report, February 2010 (PDF, 18 pages – 376 KB)
- Southwest Border Task Force Recommendations, September 2009 (PDF, 22 pages – 565 KB)
- Homeland Security Advisory System (HSAS) Task Force Report, September 2009 (PDF, 17 pages – 227 KB)
- Recommendations Archive
- June 2, 2016 (PDF, 6 pages - 226.6 KB)
- March 15, 2016
- January 21, 2016
- September 29, 2015
- June 29, 2015
- May 21, 2015
- June 5, 2014 (PDF, 23 pages – 164.96 KB)
- November 7, 2012 (PDF, 8 pages – 40 KB)
- October 1, 2012 (PDF, 9 pages – 133 KB)
- September 25, 2012 (PDF, 25 pages – 105 KB)
- May 24, 2012 (PDF, 22 pages – 96 KB)
- October 17, 2011 (PDF, 7 pages – 110 KB)
- September 22, 2011 (PDF,26 pages – 164 KB)
- June 27, 2011 (PDF, 11 pages – 51.4 KB)
- February 8, 2011 (PDF, 36 pages – 244 KB)
- May 27, 2010 (PDF, 3 pages – 70 KB)
- May 13, 2010 (PDF, 4 pages – 57 KB)
- February 3, 2010 (PDF, 14 pages – 71 KB)
- September 30, 2009 (PDF, 11 pages – 43 KB)
- September 15, 2009 (PDF, 7 pages – 66 KB)
- June 5, 2009 (PDF, 18 pages – 71 KB)
Updates and Press Releases
- Secretary Johnson Announces Appointment of New Members of the Homeland Security Advisory Council February 25, 2016
- Recent HSAC Reports & Recommendations to the Secretary
May 21, 2015 Meeting Minutes (PDF, 11 pages, - 189 KB)
- DHS Announces Appointment of New Members of the Homeland Security Advisory Council, May 7, 2015
- Secretary Johnson Announces Appointment of New Members of the Homeland Security Advisory Council April 17, 2015
- Secretary Napolitano Participates in Meeting with Members of the HSAC CyberSkills Task Force, October 2, 2012
- Readout of Secretary Napolitano’s Remarks to the Homeland Security Advisory Council, February 8, 2011
If you have any problems accessing the files on this webpage please contact: email@example.com