This page provides an overview of general DHS Laws, with a focus on emergency management, immigration, maritime law and transportation security.
General DHS Laws
- Homeland Security Act of 2002 (PDF - 187 pages, 610 KB)
This Act established the Department of Homeland Security and set forth the primary mission of the Department.
- Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-458) (PDF - 236 pages, 1.32 MB)
Among other things, this Act addresses transportation security, border surveillance, alien detention, visa requirements, and alien smuggling.
- Implementing Recommendations of the 9-11 Commission Act of 2007 (Public Law 110-53) (PDF - 286 pages, 853 KB)
This Act addresses a wide range of the Department’s missions, including cargo security, critical infrastructure protection, grant administration, intelligence and information sharing, privacy, and transportation security.
- Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act and Related Authorities (PDF - 125 pages, 605 KB)
The Stafford Act prescribes circumstances for declaring disasters and emergencies and the types of assistance to be provided in such situations, among other things.
- Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act of 2006 (Public Law 109-295) (PDF - 109 pages, 304 KB)
This Act revised a number of provisions in the Stafford Act and the Homeland Security Act to strengthen the nation’s response to disasters and emergencies.
Immigration and Border Security
- Immigration and Nationality Act
The Immigration and Nationality Act includes many provisions relating to the admission of aliens, the removal of aliens, grants of asylum, and the investigation of human trafficking.
- Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 (Public Law 107-295) (PDF - 72 pages, 226 KB)
In large part, this Act deals with port and waterway security.
- Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation Act of 2006 (Public Law 109-241) (PDF - 55 pages, 167 KB)
This Act deals with U.S. Coast Guard issues, shipping and navigation, hurricane response, and a number of other issues.
- Security and Accountability For Every Port Act of 2006 (SAFE Port Act) (Public Law 109-347) (PDF - 80 pages, 227 KB)
Many of this Act’s provisions relate to programs designed to secure the United States’ sea ports and shipping lanes.
- Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010 (Public Law 111-281) (PDF - 128 pages, 478 KB)
In addition to other things, this Act reauthorizes a number of U.S. Coast Guard programs, addresses acquisition and workforce matters, and deals with port security.
- Aviation and Transportation Security Act (Public Law 107-71) (PDF - 51 pages, 175 KB)
This Act established the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and vested security functions previously performed by the Federal Aviation Administration in TSA, among other things.
Last Published Date: April 7, 2020