Message to Tribal Leaders from Secretary Mayorkas
The Tribal Government Affairs team within the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs (IGA) is the designated lead for tribal relations and consultation at the Department of Homeland Security. IGA serves as the main point of contact between the Secretary and tribal leaders across the country, working with our intergovernmental partners across the Department to coordinate Department-level engagement of elected officials, or their designees, related to key Department policy decisions. The Department continues to improve our nation-to-nations relationship by working and consulting with federally recognized tribal governments.
The Tribal Homeland Security Advisory Council (THSAC) provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary, through engagement with DHS components, agencies, and offices, and by producing recommendations, studies, reports, and more. Given the critical importance of how DHS engages with tribes and Tribal Nations, the Council will be charged with collaborating on all matters of homeland security as they relate to Tribal nations, including but not limited to:
- Implementation of Executive Order 13175, Consultation and Coordination with Indian Tribal Governments and the President’s January 26, 2021 Memorandum on Tribal Consultation and Strengthening Nation-to-Nation Relationships;
- Implementation of Executive Order 14053, Improving Public Safety and Criminal Justice for Native Americans and Addressing the Crisis of Missing or Murdered Indigenous People;
- Implementation of Executive Order 13985, Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government;
- Implementation of Executive Order 12898, Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations and Executive Order 13990, Protecting Public Health and the Environment and Restoring Science to Tackle the Climate Crisis;
- Implementation and execution of the DHS’s Tribal Consultation Policy; and
- The responsibility to uphold the Federal Government’s and the Department’s trust and treaty responsibility to Tribal Nations.
- September 7, 2022 Press Release: DHS Establishes First-Ever Tribal Homeland Security Advisory Council
Acting Director of Tribal Affairs
DHS Tribal Affairs