You are here


A citizen of a foreign country, wishing to enter the U.S., generally must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. The type of visa you must have is defined by immigration law, and relates to the purpose of your travel. Visas are issued by American embassies and consulates.

Temporary Visitor Visas

Other Temporary Visas

Office of Biometric Identity Management

The Office of Biometric Identity Management's (OBIM), formerly US-VISIT, use of biometrics is helping to make travel simple, easy and convenient for legitimate visitors, but virtually impossible for those who wish to do harm or violate U.S. laws.

Other Resources

Last Published Date: September 24, 2015

Was this page helpful?

This page was not helpful because the content:
Back to Top