The Department of Homeland Security and its component agencies use numerous non-government 3rd party tools and websites, including social media channels, to provide the public with information in more places and more ways.
Many of these platforms offer the ability for individuals to offer their comments. We encourage members of the public to offer these comments as they relate to the topics being discussed.
The views expressed in the comments only reflect those of the comment’s author, and do not necessarily reflect the official views of the Department of Homeland Security, its component agencies, or the federal government.
We reserve the discretion to hide, delete or not allow comments that contain:
- Vulgar or abusive language;
- Personal or obscene attacks of any kind;
- Offensive terms (hate speech) targeting individuals or groups;
- Threats or defamatory statements;
- Sensitive or personally identifiable information;
- Links to external sites unrelated to the discussion;
- Suggestions or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Multiple successive off-topic posts by a single user or repetitive posts copied and pasted by multiple users, or spam;
- Unsolicited proposals or other business ideas or inquiries; or
- Promotion or endorsement of commercial services, products, or entities. (Note that non-commercial links that are relevant to the topic or another comment are acceptable.)
Users that frequently or habitually abuse these rules can also be blocked on the service in question at the discretion of the Office of Public Affairs.
DHS will not be collecting or retaining in our records comments made on our 3rd party tools and websites, including social media channels. However, in this context, these 3rd party tools and websites are public forums and any information provided in comments may be publicly available on the specific tool or website, and the privacy policies of that tool or website do apply. Please note that the comment policies of the Department’s components may also apply.
To protect your privacy and the privacy of others, DO NOT include your full name, phone numbers, email addresses, social security number, case numbers or any other sensitive personally identifiable information (PII) in your comments or responses.
If you have specific questions regarding a DHS activity or program that involves details you do not wish to share publicly, please contact the program point of contact listed at www.dhs.gov/contact-us.
If you are a member of the media, please contact the DHS Office of Public Affairs by calling (202) 282-8010.