If you wish to submit a civil rights complaint allegation to CRCL without using the optional fillable complaint form please provide a detailed written description of the events concerning your complaint and send that description to CRCL via e-mail, fax, or postal mail.
Please note that e-mailing your correspondence to CRCLCompliance@hq.dhs.gov is the fastest way to reach CRCL, but e-mailing is not required. Regardless of how you contact CRCL, please include:
- Contact information. Full name; date of birth; alien registration number, if applicable; phone number; mailing address; and e-mail address, if available.
- A written description of the circumstances. This should include date, time and location; name(s) and contact information of any witness(es); and name(s), job title, and agency or component of the individual(s) alleged to have committed a civil rights or civil liberties violation, if available. Please be as specific as possible in describing the circumstances surrounding your complaint.
- Relevant documents. Copies of any paperwork related to the complaint or its circumstances.
- A summary of other steps taken, if any, to try to resolve this complaint. For example, steps could include communications with a Department component agency regarding your complaint, or correspondence to the DHS Office of Inspector General.
- Complaints filed on behalf of a third party. If you are writing on behalf of someone else and wish to receive information which relates to them or their complaint, you must provide express written consent from that individual authorizing the Department to share information with you about the complaint. You must also provide your name, organization (if any), and contact information.
DHS will use the information in your correspondence to review alleged civil rights and civil liberties violations. In order to review your allegations, this information may be disclosed to and used by those personnel and contractors within DHS who have a need to know the information. When necessary, CRCL may also share your information with appropriate government agencies outside of DHS or with non-government entities.
Providing information to CRCL is voluntary, but CRCL may not be able to adequately review your allegations without the information requested. If necessary, CRCL may request additional information from you in order to determine the appropriate manner to address your concerns.
For technology accessibility concerns or complaints under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, you can use the optional DHS Technology Accessibility Issue Reporting Form, or send a written description of the issue to CRCL via e-mail, fax, or postal mail.
- A written description of the Inaccessible Information and Communication Technology (ICT) you are having difficulty using or accessing. Including the name of the technology, where it was located (URL), and what technology (if any) you are using to access the technology (for example, the hardware device, type of browser, type of operating system, assistive technology product name, etc. -- for complaints alleging inaccessible DHS technology).
You may file your complaint in a number of ways:
(the fastest method to submit your complaint)
Package/Overnight Delivery: Please contact CRCL for information on sending a package.
U.S. Postal Mail: (this method can take up to 20 business days)
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
Compliance Branch, Mail Stop # 0190
2707 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20528-0190
If you have questions, you may also contact CRCL by telephone:
Toll Free: 1-866-644-8360
CRCL accepts allegations in all languages, including (but not limited to):
- Download the form in English
- لتحميل المستند بالللغة العربية إضغ – Arabic
- বাংলায় ফর্মটি ডাউনলোড করতে এখানে ক্লিক করুন - Bengali
- 击此处下载本表格的中文版 – Chinese
- Cliquez ici pour télécharger ce formulaire en français – French
- ფორმის ქართულ ენაზე ჩამოსატვირთად დააჭირეთ აქ - Georgian
- Klike la pou telechaje fòm sa a an Kreyòl Ayisyen – Haitian Creole
- Clique aqui para fazer o download deste formulário em português - Portuguese
- ਫਾਰਮ ਨੂੰ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿੱਚ ਡਾਊਨਲੋਡ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਇੱਥੇ ਕਲਿੱਕ ਕਰੋ - Punjabi
- Faceți clic aici ca să descărcați formularul în limba română - Romanian
- Щелкните мышью здесь, чтобы загрузить эту форму на русском языке – Russian
- Halkan riix si aad u soo degsato foomkan oo af Soomaali ah – Somali
- Haga clic aquí para descargar este formulario en español – Spanish
- Formu Türkçe indirmek için buraya tıklayınız - Turkish
- Shaklni O’zbek tilida yuklab olish uchun shu yerni bosing - Uzbek
- Bấm vào đây để tải mẫu đơn này bằng tiếng Việt – Vietnamese