U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Government Website

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Safely connect using HTTPS

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


  1. Home
  2. How Do I?
  3. For Travelers
  4. Travel Overseas

Travel Overseas

This section provides information for international travelers about planning for your trip, returning home, navigating passenger processing. You can also find brochures about traveling overseas.

  • Travel Alerts

    Travel Alerts are issued when short-term conditions that pose risks to the security of U.S. citizens.

  • Travel Warnings

    Travel Warnings are issued when long-term conditions make a country dangerous or unstable and U.S. citizens should avoid or consider the risk of traveling to that country.

A passport is required for overseas travel. It is recommended to make a copy of your passport and put it in a separate place. Carry your passport - do not pack it in your checked luggage. You must present it to the Customs and Border Protection officer upon arrival in the United States.

Find out if you need to get a visa. United States citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit. If you have a visa, we recommend you make a copy and put it in a separate place. Carry your visa with you — do not pack it in your checked luggage.

Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) provide modified screening for pre-approved members, improve security by being more efficient during screenings at ports of entry.

Learn about the types of identification that are required for travel in the Western Hemisphere (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America). There are six types of acceptable documents for crossing US borders.

All children, including infants, must have their own passport or Trusted Traveler Program document for U.S. entry. Carry documents for traveling with minor children.

  • If you are escorting a minor child without the parents, have a letter from both parents indicating that you have permission to travel with the minor.
  • If the child is accompanied by only one parent, the parent should have a note from the child's other parent. For example, "I acknowledge that my wife/ husband is traveling out of the country with my son/ daughter. He/She/ has my permission to do so."
  • If a single parent has sole custody, a copy of the court custody document can replace a letter from the other parent.

If bringing a dog, have a health certificate and proof of rabies vaccinations from a veterinarian in your country of residence. Prior to your trip, check with your airline for its rules on transporting animals – many airlines require a health certificate.

Find out what is prohibited or restricted before you pack for your trip. Products that would harm community health, public safety and domestic plant and animal life are restricted from entering the United States and are subject to seizure by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency .

Other considerations for packing:

  • Carry only medication needed for the trip in its original container. Do not pack it.
  • Carry only the jewelry needed for the trip. Do not pack it.

When planning connecting flights to or from the United States, allow at least two hours between flights. Allow time for CBP processing that must be completed at your first port of entry.

If entering the United States by air or sea, you will receive en route a CBP Declaration Form 6059B and, if you are not from a Visa Waiver Program country, a CBP Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. Complete all sections of the forms.

Review the CBP Inspection Process before your travel. Listed below are general steps for the inspection process.

  1. On your U.S. arrival, go to the primary CBP passport control area. The CBP officer will ask to see all of your travel documents and the completed CBP forms. The officer may refer you for a secondary screening.
  2. Proceed to baggage claim to pick up luggage.
  3. Go to the CBP customs inspection checkpoint and show your declaration to the CBP officer, who may examine your bags and refer you for a secondary inspection.
  4. Pay duty, if applicable.

These resources can help navigate traveling overseas. 

Last Updated: 05/05/2023
Was this page helpful?
This page was not helpful because the content