Operation Shield is an ongoing program created to increase the visual presence of law enforcement at FPS-protected facilities to deter terrorist or criminal activity. This site provides an overview of Operation Shield, and how it safeguards employees and visitors to federal facilities.
In an effort to avert or obstruct potential insider threats as part of terrorist operations and criminal activity in and around federal facilities, the Federal Protective Service (FPS) employs Operation Shield. Operation Shield systematically measures the effectiveness of FPS countermeasures. This includes the effectiveness of FPS’s Protective Security Officers in detecting the presence of unauthorized persons and potentially disruptive or dangerous activities.
Operation Shield is a comprehensive operation that combines physical security expertise and law enforcement authority into an enhanced security team to provide a visual deterrent at FPS-protected facilities. The goal of Operation Shield is to demonstrate the preparedness and agility of FPS’ response to the current threat environment within our federal community.
- Provide a highly visible law enforcement presence through patrol operations and increased coverage
- Enhance security posture intended to disrupt terrorist/criminal activity
- Maintain a friendly, productive, and helpful customer service-oriented relationship
- Target deployment based on current threat assessment or intelligence
- Reduce social and physical disorder
- Enhance the quality of life for employees, visitors, and community members