The Federal Protective Service provides integrated security and law enforcement services to more than 9,500 federal facilities nationwide. These services include: conducting facility security assessments; responding to crimes and other incidents to protect life and property; and detecting, investigating, and mitigating threats. This site provides a snapshot of how FPS carries out its mission to protect federal buildings, federal employees and contractors, and visitors to federal facilities.
The Federal Protective Service (FPS) provides integrated security and law enforcement services to more than 9,500 federal facilities nationwide. These services include conducting facility security assessments, responding to calls for service for crimes in progress and other incidents to protect life and property, and detecting, investigating and mitigating threats.
- Provide integrated security and law enforcement services to more than 9,500 federal facilities nationwide
- More than 1,300 Law Enforcement Officers, Security Specialists, Special Agents and Mission Support Staff protecting federal facilities and tenants
- Oversight of more than 13,000 contract Protective Security Officers
- Securing Federal Facilities in all 50 states and U.S. territories
- Nationwide 24-hour operational communications capabilities, between the field and FPS’ four MegaCenters
- Responded to nearly 45,000 incidents at Federal facilities
- Conducted nearly 1,800 investigations into threats and assaults directed towards Federal facilities
- Made more than 1,700 arrests
- Confiscated more than 709,000 dangerous weapons, objects and contraband
- Executed nearly 6,000 K-9 sweeps for explosives
- Completed more than 25,000 background investigations
- Attended Participated in more than 1600 Facility Security Committee meetings with federal tenants
- Protect 1.4 million employees and visitors every day