- Directive: A Directive articulates DHS policies, missions, programs, or activities of a continuing nature. Directives are often required or authorized by statute, rulemaking, the President, or the Secretary to initiate, govern or regulate actions or conduct by DHS Components, officers, and employees.
- Instruction: An Instruction explains how to implement the policies or requirements of a Directive, Executive Order, regulation, or Federal Register notice.
Governing Privacy Policies
- Chief Privacy Officer Investigations Instruction, 2012
- Component Privacy Officers Instruction, 2017
- Handbook for Safeguarding Sensitive PII, 2017
- Mobile Applications Instruction, 2016
- Privacy Compliance Review Instruction, 2017
- Privacy Incident Handling Guidance, 2017
- Privacy Incident Responsibilities & Breach Response Team Instruction, 2017
- Social Security Number Collection & Use Reduction Instruction, 2019
- Computer Matching Agreements Directive, 2011
- Federal Information Sharing Environment Privacy and Civil Liberties Protection Policy Directive, 2009
- Privacy Act Amendment Requests Directive, 2011
- Privacy Impact Assessment Directive, 2008
- Privacy Technology Implementation Guide, 2007
- Research Programs and Projects Directive, 2012
- Roles & Responsibilities for Shared IT Services, 2011
- Social Media Operational Use Directive, 2012
- DHS Action Memorandum, Review of Safeguarding Policies and Procedures for Personnel-Related Data.