The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A), in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Assistance, is committed to helping fusion centers uphold rigorous Privacy, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties (P/CRCL) standards through:
- Privacy, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties Training and Resources;
- 28 CFR Part 23 Online Training; and
- 2012 National Fusion Center Privacy, Civil Rights, Civil Liberties Officer Workshop.
- P/CRCL Resources;
- Privacy, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Compliance Verification for the Intelligence Enterprise (PDF – 51 pages, 3.96 MB);
- Recommendations for First Amendment-Protected Events for State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies; and
- Fusion Center Privacy, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties Policy Development Template.
Fusion center commitment to learning and implementing these P/CRCL safeguards builds trust with partners and the community, which in turn fosters increased information sharing, a vital element needed for to executing the fusion process.