In an effort to keep DHS.gov current, the archive contains outdated information that may not reflect current policy or programs.
We apprehend more than a thousand people a day – 300,000 a year – who violate our nation’s sovereignty by crossing our borders illegally. This must end. Deploying the National Guard will serve as an immediate deterrent while dramatically enhancing operational control of the U.S. border.
The Problem: Legal loopholes, asylum fraud, a massive court backlog, and drastically insufficient immigration enforcement resources encourage illegal immigration and threaten the security of our nation. The result is that even apprehended illegal aliens are released and cannot be removed.
- Before 2013, approximately 1% of arriving aliens claimed credible fear (asylum). Now 1 out of 10 claim credible fear.
- Credible fear claims increased 1700% from 2008 to 2016.
- Before 2011, over 90% of arriving aliens were single adult males. Today 40% are families and children.
- Before 2009, 90% of arriving aliens were Mexican nationals. Today nearly 50% are Central Americans.
Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC) and Family Units:
- In FY17, 48,672 UACs were apprehended by CBP compared to 3,598 UACs that were removed.
- In FY17, 104,999 Family Units were apprehended by CBP compared to 2,605 that were removed in FY17.
- Thus far in FY18, 13,186 UACs were released into the interior of the United States – that’s in addition to the 42,146 UACs and 52,147 UACs who were released in FY17 and FY16 respectively, bringing the total number of UACs released from FY16 to date in excess of 107,000.
- Thus far in FY18, 39,984 Family Units have been apprehended by CBP.
Securing Our Borders:
- In coordination with governors, National Guard units will be deployed to our southern border.
- The deployment is designed to support ongoing efforts to mitigate the crisis on our border. The deployment will support federal law enforcement personnel, including CBP.
- Federal immigration authorities will direct enforcement efforts.
The deployment’s duration will be determined by Congressional efforts to secure our southern border.
# # #