In an effort to keep DHS.gov current, the archive contains outdated information that may not reflect current policy or programs.
Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen M. Nielsen will host the fifth Federal Commission on School Safety (FCSS) meeting this week. The session will focus on best practices for school building security, active shooter training for schools, and practitioner experience with school-based threat assessment.
WHO: Federal Commission on School Safety Members
- Chair, Betsy DeVos, Secretary of Education
- Kirstjen M. Nielsen, Secretary of Homeland Security
- Jeff Sessions, Attorney General of the United States
- Alex M. Azar II, Secretary of Health and Human Services
WHAT: Commission Meeting: “Creating a Citadel of Learning: New Tools to Secure our Schools, Inside and Out”
WHERE: Eisenhower Executive Office Building’s Indian Treaty Room
WHEN: 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. ET, Thursday, August 16, 2018
The Commission meeting will include three panels:
Panel 1: Best Practices For School Building Security
- Jay Brotman, Managing Partner, Svigals & Partners and Member, American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Max Schachter, CEO and Founder, Safe Schools for Alex
Panel 2: Active Shooter Training For Schools
- Jarrod Burguan, Chief of Police, San Bernardino Police Department
- Chris Fraley, Region 2 Director, National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO)
Panel 3: Practitioner Experience With School-Based Threat Assessments
- Donna P. Michaelis, Manager, Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety, Division of Law Enforcement, Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services
- Susan Payne, Founder and Executive Director of Safe2Tell Colorado and Director of Safe Communities ~ Safe Schools
Press Access: Thursday’s Commission meeting will be pooled press and available via livestream here.
For more information, please visit the FCSS website: https://www.ed.gov/school-safety
Contacts: DHS Press Office, (202) 282-8010, firstname.lastname@example.org
Education Press Office, (202) 401-1576, email@example.com