U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Government Website

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Safely connect using HTTPS

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


  1. Home
  2. About Us
  3. Site Links
  4. Archived
  5. News Archive
  6. Portland Riots Read-out: August 3

Archived Content

In an effort to keep DHS.gov current, the archive contains outdated information that may not reflect current policy or programs.

Portland Riots Read-out: August 3

Release Date: August 3, 2020

Bottom Line

After weeks of rioting and nightly attacks on federal officers and property, activity in the vicinity of the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse continues in an overall trend of diminishing violence. Sunday night marked the first night in over 60 days during which rioters did not attack federal property in Portland. This change from previous weeks is directly attributable to the long awaited  cooperation from state and local law enforcement to clear the parks where rioters daily staged their nightly siege and for local and state law enforcement to address violence on the streets, all with the surged federal presence still on the ground.

Following last Wednesday’s announcement of a cooperation agreement between DHS and Oregon’s governor, Oregon State Police (OSP) stepped in to assist in securing the area around the courthouse.  With DHS’s enhanced presence still protecting federal property in the city, Sunday evening marked the fourth night of federal and state law enforcement cooperation on the ground. While the violence is receding, DHS will remain faithful to its mission to protect federal property and personnel; the enhanced federal presence will remain for the time being until the Department is certain it will be safe and responsible to change posture.

The Past 24 Hours

The courthouse area saw its smallest crowd in four days, which peaked at around 150 people.  More importantly, those present remained peaceful through the course of the night with no violent agitators apparent therein.

Protest activity ended and crowds had dissipated by 12:30 a.m. local time.

No damage to federal property was reported during the course of the evening. Furthermore, no drones were detected in the no-fly zone surrounding the courthouse.

There were no other areas of the city reporting riot activity or unrest.

Last Updated: 02/05/2021
Was this page helpful?
This page was not helpful because the content