We're thrilled to announce DHS Accessibility Day! DHS Accessibility Day will emphasize a human-centric approach to accessibility, which fits our theme of "Achieving Equality Through Accessibility."
Our goal this year is to shine a spotlight on DHS' endeavors to create an environment that nurtures diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and a satisfying customer experience. We're steering our focus onto three pivotal areas:
- Recruiting and Maintaining a Talented Diverse Workforce
- Enhancing Customer Experience through User-Centric Design
- Accommodating Persons with Disabilities by Adopting Accessibility and Usability Best Practices
This year, we're proud to present a roster of esteemed speakers, each bringing a wealth of knowledge and insight to our sessions:
Dana Chisnell, Acting Executive Director of Customer Experience at DHS, will share her invaluable expertise in the field of customer experience.
Nicshan Floyd, Executive Director of DHS Accessibility and Usability, who has been instrumental in driving our accessibility initiatives.
Abuja Bale, Diversity Management Section Director, DHS Civil Rights & Civil Liberties (CRCL), who is an expert on the intersectionality of accessibility and civil rights.
Sharon Wong, Executive Director, Strategic Recruitment, Diversity & Inclusion (CHCO), will share her experience of combining accessibility initiatives with D&I.
Andrew Nielson, Director of the GSA Government-wide IT Accessibility Program, whose leadership of the IT Accessibility Program will be invaluable for our discussions.
Day 1 Highlights:
- Keynote remarks by CRCL's Abuja Bale: Unpacking diversity management and its impact on our daily operations.
- Interactive Activity Demonstration, “Working with A Disability:” An interactive panel discussion providing a first-hand perspective on working with disabilities.
- Users’ Stories: Listen to the experiences of DHS employees with disabilities, their daily challenges, and triumphs.
- "Introducing the Customer Experience Program," by Dana Chisnell: Get an overview of our approach to enhancing customer experience.
Day 2 Highlights:
- Diversity In Hiring Strategies: A conversation with Sharon Wong on how diversity enhances organizational performance.
- Disability in Hiring - Boots on the Ground: Understand inclusive hiring practices from Manny Ramirez from the DHS Strategic Talent Recruitment, Inclusive, Diversity, and Engagement (STRIDE)
- Engagement in the Virtual Environment: Andrew Nielson, GSA Director of the Government-wide IT Accessibility Program, will share insights on ensuring that everyone has a voice in the virtual space.
- Mobile Accessibility Benefits Everyone: FEMA and Apple will discuss how mobile accessibility can enhance everyone's experience.
Join us in our journey towards optimizing customer experience and achieving equality through accessibility. It's an opportunity to learn, grow, and collaborate as we take strides to make DHS more inclusive, user-centric, and accessible.
The event is only available to federal employees and federal contractors within the United States Government.