The Integrated Rapid Visual Screening (IRVS) is a quick and simple tool designed to determine the initial or relative risk and resilience of a tunnel. A tunnel is defined as a passageway through or under an obstruction, such as a city, mountain, river, or harbor. Assessment is based on features that can be observed during a visual inspection. The knowledge for calculating both risk and resilience is embedded in the tool. Major tool interactions are automatically calculated by pre-assigned weights, interaction logic, and context-based algorithms based on knowledge and tool validations. Risk is based primarily in target attractiveness (for manmade hazards).
For natural hazards, it uses probability of occurrence. Risk is the product of consequences, threats and vulnerabilities. Resilience is computed as a combination of robustness, resourcefulness, and recovery factors based on information such as hardening, training, and redundancies. Information obtained from the IRVS analysis can be used by law enforcement agencies, emergency managers, facility managers, engineers and architects to support higher-level assessments and mitigation measures.
IRVS Software Highlights
The software for the IRVS family of tools is now digital and includes integrated capabilities for mass transit, tunnels, and buildings in one software package. This facilitates data collection and functions as an effective data management tool. Assessors can use the software on a PC tablet or laptop to systematically collect, store, and report screening data. The software can be used during all phases of the IRVS process (pre-field, field, and post-field).
- Digital catalogue and forms
- Field data collection and storage
- Automatic risk scoring
- Printable reports
- Google Earth application
- Chapter 1: Overview: Page 1-1
- Chapter 2: Introduction to IRVS of Tunnels: Page 2:
- Chapter 3: Conducting an IRVS of Tunnels: Page 3:
- Chapter 4: Completing the Data Collection Form: Page 4:1
- Chapter 5: References: Page 5:1
- BIPS 03 - Integrated Rapid Visual Screening of Tunnels (PDF, 205 pages, 16 MB)
- IRVS Software Database Package for those with no MS Access (ZIP, 258 MB)
- IRVS Software Database Package: MS Access 2010 (ZIP, 79 MB)
- IRVS Software Database Package: MS Access 2007 (ZIP, 79 MB)
If you would like a copy, please contact email@example.com.