In response to the National Security Memorandum-16 “Strengthening the Security and Resilience of United States Food and Agriculture,” the Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) established a Food & Agriculture Defense Matrix Team to unite its work in this area and streamline its support to the mission. The matrix team aligns the Food & Agriculture Defense efforts within S&T and ensures that the Directorate is prepared to respond to gaps and requirements to defend the food and agriculture systems of the United States.
S&T’s Food & Agriculture Defense Matrix Team conducts and coordinates research, development, test, and evaluation on technologies, techniques, procedures, and capabilities necessary to protect U.S. food and agriculture from agricultural pests and crop diseases; transboundary animal diseases; intentional or unintentional occurrences of food contamination or adulteration; natural, accidental, or intentional biothreats which may present harm to animals or plants; and other high-consequence events that pose a risk to homeland security.
S&T’s food and agriculture defense work includes risk assessments; threat characterizations; countermeasures to defend against pathogens, pests, and toxins; food defense and ingestion threat modeling; characterizations of chemical threats for food contamination and adulteration; laboratory experiments and foundational research; diagnostics; veterinary medical countermeasures; decontamination strategies; trainings; and coordination with partners for joint efforts that defend food and agriculture systems.
Funding Opportunities for Laboratory Research in Food and Agricultural Defense
Deadline Extended until December 3!
The Science and Technology Directorate's Long Range Broad Agency Announcement (LRBAA) is a standing, open invitation to the scientific and technical communities to fund pioneering research and development projects in support of our nation’s security.
S&T recently extended the deadline for submission to the LRBAA, including for the following food and agricultural defense research opportunities:
- Research, Testing and Evaluation of Food, Agriculture and Veterinary Defense Prototype Countermeasure Tools to Increase Resiliency Against High Consequence Domestic Terrestrial Animal Disease Events
- Research, Development, Testing and Evaluation of Food and Agriculture Defense Tools and Technologies for Countering Threats to Plant or Crop Diseases and Pests
- Laboratory Research to Characterize Agricultural Threat Agents
For information about research topics and how to submit to a topic visit the LRBAA solicitation portal.
Aligned S&T Efforts
S&T’s Food & Agriculture Defense Matrix Team includes the following programs and functional areas:
- Office of Mission Capability and Support
- Food, Agriculture, and Veterinary Defense (FAVD) program
- Probabilistic Analysis for National Threats Hazards and Risks (PANTHR) program
- Chemical Threat Characterization (CTC) program
- Agriculture Threat Characterization (AgTC) program
- Food and Agriculture Sector Risk Analytic Capability (FASRAC) activity, under the TIGER risk assessment program
- S&T Office of National Laboratories facilities
- Centers of Excellence
Collaboration Across DHS
S&T works closely with DHS Components to protect the food and agriculture sector:
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CPB)
- Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- News Release: DHS Completes Construction, Commissioning of National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility
- Blog: It’s Time to Talk about Food and Agriculture Security
- Feature Article: Using DNA to Search for the True Origins of Imported Honey
- Feature Article: Protecting Food from the Farm to our Plates
- S&T Proactively Preparing for African Swine Fever
- News Release: DHS Awards $193K for Standards Based Technology to Enhance the Visibility of Food Supply Chains
- Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Master Question List (MQL)
- Master Question List (MQL) on African Swine Fever—Learn about the virus and the current state of available information.
- DHS Fact Sheet on National Security Memorandum-16 on Strengthening the Security and Resilience of United States Food and Agriculture
Contact the S&T Food & Agriculture Defense Matrix Team: ST_FAVD@hq.dhs.gov