The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) partners with a host of academic, national laboratory and research organizations across the nation to address specific homeland security topics and threats. Our Centers of Excellence program harnesses the innovation of America’s universities for homeland security research, development and education to deliver tools, technologies, knowledge products, training and expertise to the Homeland Security Enterprise. Their contributions help shape the future of homeland security and provide operators with targeted insight on specific areas of concern. Working with partners from industry, DHS S&T, DHS components, national laboratories, other federal agencies, state and local homeland security agencies, and first responders, our university-led Centers of Excellence bring innovation to operations, develop the current and future homeland security science and engineering workforce, and help ensure the Homeland Security Enterprise is prepared to address new challenges.
Current Programs and Projects
- ADvanced CIRCulation (ADCIRC) Storm Surge Model
- AgConnect®—Protecting Agriculture Infrastructure
- Coastal Operations Analysis Suite of Tools (COAST)
- Office of University Programs (OUP) Overview
- Office of University Programs (OUP) Student Resources
- Plan Integration for Resilience Scorecard
Available Technologies and Projects
S&T and its academic partners have:
- Developed more than 100 targeted tools, technologies, and knowledge products through COEs for use across the homeland security enterprise.
- Performed targeted research for 11 DHS components and offices and five other federal agencies, which have contributed over $100 million in supplemental COE investments.
- Attracted more than $330 million in additional funding from external sources for homeland security research, development, and education.
- Placed 438 students in summer internships since 2008 to conduct research in DHS mission-relevant research areas at federal research facilities located across the country.
- Awarded 63 career development grants to universities plus 289 fellowships and 256 scholarships to individuals.
- Arctic Domain Awareness Center
- Disaster Recovery Indicators
- Minority Serving Institute STEM Program
- Maritime Security Center Summer Research Institute
- Predicting Crowd Behavior Project
- Feature Article: Using DNA to Search for the True Origins of Imported Honey
- Feature Article: Is it a Virus or Bacteria? New Tech Rapidly Tests for COVID-19 and More
- News Release: DHS Selects George Washington University to Pilot New Center of Excellence in Security Technology Transition
- Snapshot: Overcoming the Tyranny of Distance in the Arctic
- Blog: S&T Technologies: Supporting Hurricane Dorian Response
- Snapshot: S&T Joins with International Partners to Establish Latest Emergency Response Best Practices
- Snapshot: The ADCIRC Prediction System
- News Release: DHS Announces $10.5M Funding Opportunity to Establish MBA in Security Technology Transition
- News Release: DHS S&T Announces $35M Funding Opportunity for New Center of Excellence in Terrorism Prevention and Counterterrorism Research
- News Release: DHS S&T Releases Two Requests for Proposals through the Minority Serving Institutions Research and Development Consortium
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.