The Checked Baggage Program has three specific focus areas:
- Advanced X-ray Systems Development – Development and testing of full up system engineering design models (EDMs) (TRL 6-7 level of maturity).
- Advanced Algorithms and System Integration – Development/maturation of threat detection and false alarm reduction algorithms, integration into operational /prototype systems and demonstration of real time operation.
- Supporting Component Technology Development – Development/maturation of system components and subsystems (such as X-ray Sources and Detectors) necessary to evolve laboratory and experimental prototypes into full up X-ray system designs able to meet the Advanced X-ray Systems requirements.
Future Program Capabilities:
- An expanded library of explosives and explosives signatures that can be effectively detected
- Improved automated explosives detection and false alarm performance
- Improved imaging tools for operator alarm resolution
- Improved system reliability, screening speed (throughput) and reduced cost of ownership compared with currently deployed explosives detection systems (EDS)
New Global Standards Will Make Traveling with Liquids Safer and Easier
S&T Checked Baggage Program Awards $3.5M to Improve X-Ray Detection Technology
S&T Checked Baggage Program Awards $6.8 Million for R&D Projects to Improve X-Ray Detection Technology