In an effort to keep DHS.gov current, the archive contains outdated information that may not reflect current policy or programs.
The Science and Technology Exercise Partnership Showcase (STEPS) will showcase and deliver innovative solutions that meet Homeland Security Enterprise (HSE) requirements through the demonstration of current and emerging technologies in an operational environment.
Description and Approach
Through the execution of theses showcases, the DHS Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) has been able to gain access to unique venues (major league baseball stadiums, transportation hubs, schools, places of worship, and movie theaters) to allow assessments of developmental and commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) technologies of interest to S&T, DHS components, and first responders. These showcases allow DHS S&T to help participating agencies develop requirements, identify training gaps, and test their own tactics, techniques, and procedures when responding to attacks and other emerging events. Each showcase allows multiple first responder agencies to test and evaluate technologies in an operational environment as well as work with strategic partners, industry, and other government agencies. The engagement opportunities more closely represent “real-world” situations stakeholders may encounter when responding to terrorist or soft target attacks and provide invaluable customer feedback on technologies and refined technology requirements.
- Current STEPS Partners include:
- National Counterterrorism Center
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency
- Army Research, Development and Engineering Center
- Conducted eight Exercise and Partnership Showcases since August 2013
- Assessed 27 current and emerging COTS/GOTS technologies in operation environments
- Will execute two technology showcases each year in various venues throughout the United States
- Maintain situational awareness of current and emerging technologies for the purpose of fulfilling customer requirements
- Coordinate within DHS S&T to deliver innovative solutions that meet Homeland Security Enterprise requirements