The Modeling and Simulation Technology Center (MS-TC) serves as a resource for the Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) and DHS Components for subject matter expertise and rapid prototyping of tools to model and simulate operations, threat forecasting, and incident response in operational missions and environments.
Description and Approach
MS-TC provides strategic advice to various DHS Components, and offers expertise and core research in thrust areas to ensure the department can benefit from advanced modeling and simulation capabilities. Since its implementation, MS-TC has established S&T as a leader in federal modeling and simulation activities through active collaboration with government agencies, industry, academia, and international partners on cutting-edge research, development, reuse, and interoperability of technology solutions.
View the MS-TC Fact Sheets.
Subject Matter Expertise
- Supporting R&D and Acquisition programs in leveraging advanced simulation technologies to reduce technical risks
- Providing broad-based technical expertise across M&S domains to support DHS current and future mission priorities and execution capabilities
- Reducing DHS acquisition costs by leveraging inter-agency M&S investments, “80% solutions,” and reducing duplication of effort
- Enabling DHS information sharing and collaboration through leading the MODSIM Community of Interest
Prototyping and Systems Integration
- Enhancing DHS training effectiveness and repeatability through use of advanced simulators and scenarios
- Increasing mission readiness and outcomes through advanced threat modeling
- Enabling interoperability across DHS systems
Core Research and Activities
- Immersive Visualization: 3D immersive, augmented, virtual and mixed reality technologies for visualization and training
- Predictive Threat Modeling: Agent-based simulations, "war-gaming" technologies, and risk modeling
- Process Modeling and Gaming: Predictive models using machine learning algorithms
- Modeling and Simulation Community of Interest (ModSim COI): A forum to connect and engage the Homeland Security Enterprise and M&S community partners to share knowledge, technology discoveries and innovative solutions, and promote cooperation, reuse, and interoperability of M&S capabilities. S&T ModSim COI has today over 200 technical M&S practitioners from across DHS and federal agencies fostering collaboration among industry, academia, national laboratories, and government partners.