S&T works with first responders to identify their technology needs and capability gaps. S&T then works with research and development organizations, academia, industry, and the innovation community to create solutions. The following technologies were all imagined and field-tested by first responders across the country that are now available for agencies to procure.
Encoding device securely transmits compressed high definition video and audio streams to remote locations.
The ERAD Prepaid Card Reader is a small, handheld device that wirelessly allows law enforcement officers in the field to identify and check the balance of suspicious cards, and to put a temporary hold on the linked funds until a full investigation can be completed.
- Fact Sheet and Video: Prepaid Card Reader
- S&T Snapshot: DHS S&T’s Prepaid Card Reader’s Upgrades Make it Faster and Cheaper
- S&T Snapshot: S&T's Prepaid Card Reader Aids Law Enforcement in Seizing Fraudulent Cards
- Publication: ERAD Prepaid Card Reader Article - Freezing Assets
- Vendor Name: ERAD Group
FINDER uses microwave radar to pinpoint individuals trapped in rubble.
- Fact Sheet and Video: FINDER: Detecting Heartbeats in Rubble and Rescuing Victims of Disasters
- S&T News Release: S&T-funded Tech Aids Search Following Mexico Quakes
- S&T Snapshot: Detecting Heartbeats in Rubble: DHS and NASA Team up to Save Victims of Disasters
- S&T Press Release: DHS and NASA Technology Helps Save Four in Nepal Earthquake Disaster
- Vendor Name: R4, Inc.
- Vendor Name: SpecOps Group Inc.
The FireGround Compass® provides firefighters operating in dark, smoky, disorienting environments with a tool that will help them keep their directional bearings and always know their entry and exit points. It was also developed to be easily manipulated while wearing thick firefighting gloves.
- Fact Sheet: FireGround Compass®
- Publication: Operational Test and Evaluation Performance Report: Halcyon FireGround Compass
- Vendor Name: Halcyon Products, Inc.
FiRST app is a simple yet powerful bomb response tool that puts key decision-making data—such as safe standoff distances, damage and injury contours, nearby areas of concern, and suggested roadblocks—directly at responders’ fingertips.
- Fact Sheet and Video: First Responder Support Tools (FiRST) Application
- Publication: First Responder Support Tools (FiRST) Sharing Service (FSS) Operational Field Assessment
- S&T Snapshot: Bomb Threat? An App for that, too
- Vendor Name: Applied Research Associates, Inc.
New structure glove provides the full range of protection firefighters need with enhanced dexterity, water repellency and fire resistance.
- Fact Sheet and Video: Improved Structure Firefighting Glove
- S&T News Release: Firefighter Improved Structure Gloves Receive NFPA Certification, Are Available For Use
- S&T Snapshot: Improved Gloves Enhance Safety of First Responders
- Publication: Improved Structural Firefighting Glove: Operational Field Assessment Report
- Vendor Name: Shelby Specialty Gloves
This surveillance camera is easy to conceal and provides optimal high-resolution video footage in a variety of lighting conditions, especially in very low light. The camera transmits real-time data over internet protocol to locations where law enforcement can discretely monitor footage.
Developed via the Small Business Innovation Research Program in partnership with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office of Firearms and Tactical Programs, the Mechanical Shooter mimics exact movements of a human shooting a handgun in order to reduce injuries and prevent strain from repetitive firing during firearm testing.
- Fact Sheet and Video: Virtual Shooter
- S&T Snapshot: Virtual Shooter Technology Tests Ammo and Saves Joints
- Vendor Name: Radiance Technologies
NEON-P® leverages existing time-of-flight tracking to allow first responders to quickly hone in on a colleague in distress.
- Fact Sheet and Video: Firefighter Accountability and Proximity (FFAP) System
- S&T Responder News: Firefighter Accountability and Proximity System Hones in on Firefighter Safety
- Publication: Firefighter Accountability and Proximity (FFAP) System Operational Field Assessment Report
- Vendor Name: TRX Systems, Inc.
This is a P25-compatible, after-market technology solution that allows agencies to easily upgrade and reconfigure legacy systems at a low cost. RIC-M allows many older base station systems to be used for another 10 to 20 years.
- Fact Sheet and Video: Radio Internet-Protocol Communications Module (RIC-M)
- S&T Snapshot: S&T’s Interoperable Solution Makes It Easier and Cheaper For First Responders to Communicate
- S&T Press Release: DHS S&T Licenses Groundbreaking Communications Technology
- Publication: Conventional Fixed Station Interface for Legacy Base Station Equipment Operational Field Assessment
- Vendor Name: Christine Wireless, Inc.
- Vendor Name: Avtec, Inc.
REDZONETM Contaminant Control Package (formerly Smoke and Particulate Resistant Structural Turnout Ensemble)
Chronic exposure to toxic combustion products and particulate matter found in the fireground environment are believed to contribute significantly to higher firefighter cancer rates. To combat this, S&T collaborated with North Carolina State University’s Textile Protection and Comfort Center and LION First Responder PPE, Inc. to develop a structural turnout ensemble with enhanced infiltration protection at ensemble interfaces—preventing smoke and particulates from reaching the firefighters’ skin and protecting them from hazardous vapors and materials.
- Fact Sheet and Video: Smoke and Particulate Resistant Structural Turnout Ensemble
- S&T Press Release: New Turnout Ensemble Aims to Reduce Firefighter Cancer Risk
- Publication: Smoke and Particulate Resistant Structural Turnout Ensemble Operational Field Assessment Report
- Vendor Name: LION First Responder PPE, Inc.
SAPBER removes end caps and collects video and physical evidence from pipe bombs while keeping operators at a safe standoff distance.
- Fact Sheet: Semi-Autonomous Pipe Bomb End Cap Remover
- S&T Snapshot: Dismantling a Pipe Bomb - and Preserving the Evidence
- Vendor Name: RE2, Inc.
S&T formed an Integrated Project Team (IPT) and initiated the WUI Fire Operational Requirements and Technology Capability Analysis Project. Over the course of the project, the IPT identified areas of innovation in wildland fire incident relating to wildland fire preparedness and mitigation and enhanced wildland fire suppression practices, including resistant infrastructure planning, building materials, and building codes.
- Publication: Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) Fire Operational Requirements and Capability Analysis: Report of Findings
The ViSi Mobile® System monitors vital signs without connecting wired sensors from the patient to other equipment.
- Fact Sheet and Video: Wireless Patient Monitoring
- Publication: Wireless Patient Vital Signs Monitoring Device Operational Field Assessment
- Vendor Name: Sotera Wireless, Inc.
National Fire Protection Association-certified suite of personal protective equipment, WLFF APPS reduces wildland firefighter heat stress injuries. The garment system improves radiant thermal protection and has increased form, fit, and function.
- Fact Sheet: Wildland Firefighters Advanced Personal Protection System
- S&T Responder News: Wildland Firefighter PPE Provides Advantages for Fighting Outdoor Heat
- Publication: Advanced Personal Protection System (APPS), Wildland Firefighter Personal Protection Equipment (WLFF PPE) Clothing System Program, Final Report
- Vendor Name: Workrite Uniform Company
- Vendor Name: Crew Boss PPE