S&T works hand-in-hand with first responders of all disciplines to identify their technology needs and capability gaps, and then partners with research and development organizations, academia, industry, and the innovation community to develop solutions. The following technologies were envisioned and field-tested by first responders and are now available for agencies to procure.
Encoding device securely transmits compressed high definition video and audio streams to remote locations.
The ERAD Prepaid Card Reader is a small, handheld device that wirelessly allows law enforcement officers in the field to identify and check the balance of suspicious cards, and to put a temporary hold on the linked funds until a full investigation can be completed.
- Prepaid Card Reader Fact Sheet and Video
- S&T Snapshot: DHS S&T’s Prepaid Card Reader’s Upgrades Make it Faster and Cheaper
- S&T Snapshot: S&T's Prepaid Card Reader Aids Law Enforcement in Seizing Fraudulent Cards
- ERAD Prepaid Card Reader Article - Freezing Assets (2017)
FINDER uses microwave radar to pinpoint individuals trapped in rubble.
- FINDER: Detecting Heartbeats in Rubble and Rescuing Victims of Disasters Fact Sheet and Video
- News Release: S&T-funded Tech Aids Search Following Mexico Quakes
- S&T Snapshot: Detecting Heartbeats in Rubble: DHS and NASA Team up to Save Victims of Disasters
- News Release: DHS and NASA Technology Helps Save Four in Nepal Earthquake Disaster
The FireGround Compass® provides firefighters operating in dark, smoky, disorienting environments with a tool that will help them keep their directional bearings and always know their entry and exit points. It was also developed to be easily manipulated while wearing thick firefighting gloves.
- FireGround Compass® Fact Sheet
- Operational Test and Evaluation Performance Report: Halcyon FireGround Compass
FiRST app is a simple yet powerful bomb response tool that puts key decision-making data—such as safe standoff distances, damage and injury contours, nearby areas of concern, and suggested roadblocks—directly at responders’ fingertips.
- First Responder Support Tools (FiRST) Application Fact Sheet and Video
- First Responder Support Tools (FiRST) Sharing Service (FSS) Operational Field Assessment
- S&T Snapshot: Bomb Threat? An App for that, too
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
New structure glove provides the full range of protection firefighters need with enhanced dexterity, water repellency and fire resistance.
- Improved Structure Firefighting Glove Fact Sheet and Video
- News Release: Firefighter Improved Structure Gloves Receive NFPA Certification, Are Available For Use
- S&T Snapshot: Improved Gloves Enhance Safety of First Responders
- Improved Structural Firefighting Glove: Operational Field Assessment Report
This surveillance camera is easy to conceal and provides optimal high-resolution video footage in a variety of lighting conditions, especially in very low light. The camera transmits real-time data over internet protocol to locations where law enforcement can discretely monitor footage.
Developed via the Small Business Innovation Research Program in partnership with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office of Firearms and Tactical Programs, the Mechanical Shooter mimics exact movements of a human shooting a handgun in order to reduce injuries and prevent strain from repetitive firing during firearm testing.
- Virtual Shooter Fact Sheet and Video
- S&T Snapshot: Virtual Shooter Technology Tests Ammo and Saves Joints
NEON-P® leverages existing time-of-flight tracking to allow first responders to quickly hone in on a colleague in distress.
- Firefighter Accountability and Proximity (FFAP) System Fact Sheet and Video
- S&T Responder News: Firefighter Accountability and Proximity System Hones in on Firefighter Safety
- Firefighter Accountability and Proximity (FFAP) System Operational Field Assessment Repor
This is a P25-compatible, after-market technology solution that allows agencies to easily upgrade and reconfigure legacy systems at a low cost. RIC-M allows many older base station systems to be used for another 10 to 20 years.
- Radio Internet-Protocol Communications Module (RIC-M) Fact Sheet and Video
- S&T Snapshot: S&T’s Interoperable Solution Makes It Easier and Cheaper For First Responders to Communicate
- S&T Press Release: DHS S&T Licenses Groundbreaking Communications Technology
- Conventional Fixed Station Interface for Legacy Base Station Equipment Operational Field Assessment
Chronic exposure to toxic combustion products and particulate matter found in the fireground environment are believed to contribute significantly to higher firefighter cancer rates. To combat this, S&T collaborated with North Carolina State University’s Textile Protection and Comfort Center and LION First Responder PPE, Inc. to develop a structural turnout ensemble with enhanced infiltration protection at ensemble interfaces—preventing smoke and particulates from reaching the firefighters’ skin and protecting them from hazardous vapors and materials.
- Smoke and Particulate Resistant Structural Turnout Ensemble Fact Sheet and Video
- S&T Press Release: New Turnout Ensemble Aims to Reduce Firefighter Cancer Risk
- Smoke and Particulate Resistant Structural Turnout Ensemble Operational Field Assessment Report
SAPBER removes end caps and collects video and physical evidence from pipe bombs while keeping operators at a safe standoff distance.
- Semi-Autonomous Pipe Bomb End Cap Remover Fact Sheet
- S&T Snapshot: Dismantling a Pipe Bomb - and Preserving the Evidence
S&T formed an Integrated Project Team (IPT) and initiated the WUI Fire Operational Requirements and Technology Capability Analysis Project. Over the course of the project, the IPT identified areas of innovation in wildland fire incident relating to wildland fire preparedness and mitigation and enhanced wildland fire suppression practices, including resistant infrastructure planning, building materials, and building codes.
The ViSi Mobile® System monitors vital signs without connecting wired sensors from the patient to other equipment.
- Wireless Patient Monitoring Fact Sheet and Video
- Wireless Patient Vital Signs Monitoring Device Operational Field Assessment
National Fire Protection Association-certified suite of personal protective equipment, WLFF APPS reduces wildland firefighter heat stress injuries. The garment system improves radiant thermal protection and has increased form, fit, and function.
- Wildland Firefighters Advanced Personal Protection System Fact Sheet
- S&T Responder News: Wildland Firefighter PPE Provides Advantages for Fighting Outdoor Heat
- Advanced Personal Protection System (APPS), Wildland Firefighter Personal Protection Equipment (WLFF PPE) Clothing System Program, Final Report