The Science and Technology Directorate’s (S&T’s) Opioid/Fentanyl Detection program is developing and evaluating advanced detection technologies and analytics to better target, interdict, and investigate illicit opioid and other narcotic smuggling into the United States. The program supports mission requirements of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Immigration and Customs Enforcement Homeland Security Investigations (ICE HSI), and state and local law enforcement.
Current R&D Activities
- Feature Article: New Fentanyl Detection Standards Will Protect First Responders in the Field
- News Release: S&T Seeks Industry Participation in Battle Against Opioids
- News Release: Prize Winners Announced in $1.55M Opioid Challenge
- Media Advisory: Winning Opioid Detection Technology
- Snapshot: S&T taps open innovation to identify new tools to combat the opioid crisis
- Snapshot: In the Near Future, Synthetic Opioids will have a Tougher Time Sneaking into the U.S. via International Mail or Express Carriers