The Science and Technology Directorate’s (S&T’s) Baggage/Cargo/People Screening Program conducts screening, detection, and mitigation R&D to detect explosives and prohibited items at airports and in air cargo.
Customer requirements are addressed through a subset of programs covering four focus areas: Air Cargo, Checked Baggage, Explosives Trace Detection, and Screening at Speed (which pursues next generation passenger and carry-on screening). By working with government, industry, and academic partners, the program is developing innovative solutions to address evolving detection and security requirements and keep up with an increasing volume of air travelers. Improvements in air security can also be applied elsewhere, such as along borders and at large-scale national security events.
Visit S&T Impact: Aviation Security to watch video and learn more about how our R&D strengthens aviation security from improved passenger and baggage screening to more resilient aircraft construction.
- Feature Article: S&T Transitions Next-Generation Explosives Trace Detection Technology to DARPA
- News Release: DHS S&T Awards Funding for Aviation Self-Screening Concept and Prototype
- News Release: S&T Awards Funding to Design Passenger Self-Screening Hardware System
- News Release: DHS S&T Awards Funding to Design Passenger Self-Screening Solution
- Increasing Efficiency of Air Cargo Screening
- New Global Standards Will Make Traveling with Liquids Safer and Easier
- S&T Checked Baggage Program Awards $3.5M to Improve X-Ray Detection Technology