The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate (S&T), in partnership with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Forensic Laboratory, and other federal agencies, will host a series of test events to challenge industry to deliver secure, accurate, and easy-to-use remote identity validation technologies to combat identity fraud when users apply for government services, open bank accounts, or verify social media accounts.
S&T and its partners will evaluate the ability of systems to authenticate identity documents, assess the "liveness" of selfie photos, and evaluate identity verification using images taken with smartphones and similar commodity devices.
About the Technology Demonstrations
Through S&T’s Biometric and Identity Technology Center, these test events will enable industry to:
- develop more secure, accurate, and easy to use technologies;
- objectively measure performance against realistic and sophisticated attacks;
- answer questions about the overall performance, risks, and fairness of these technologies for use in commercial or government applications; and
- inform efforts to standardize and certify technologies that are effective against sophisticated and rapidly evolving attacks.
For more information, view the Remote Identity Technology Demonstration (RIVTD) Fact Sheet.
These test events are held at the Maryland Test Facility (MdTF), located in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. For more information, visit the MdTF RIVTD website.
2023 Technology Demonstration
S&T invites technology developers with demonstrated expertise in remote identity validation capabilities to participate in the 2023 Remote Identity Validation Technology Demonstration. RIVTD is conducted in three tracks and each track is demonstrated separately.
- Track 1: Assess the validity of an identity document (U.S. state-issued driver’s license or identification card)
- Track 2: Match a “selfie” photo to the photo on the identity document
- Track 3: Assess the “liveness” of the “selfie” photograph
Organizations interested in participating in Track 2 should email email@example.com to RSVP for the June 5, 2023, information webinar. Detailed application instructions will be discussed during the information webinar.
Track 2 applications will be due on June 22, 2023, 11:59PM EST.
Check the MdTF Remote Identity Validation Technology Demonstration website for the most up-to-date information about upcoming events, or sign-up with firstname.lastname@example.org to be included in communication about future events.