On January 20, 2022, the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman (CIS Ombudsman) hosted a public webinar titled "Overview of myUSCIS for applicants."
During this session, CIS Ombudsman Phyllis A. Coven and her staff engaged with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' (USCIS) subject matter experts (SMEs) to provide an overview of myUSCIS. The SMEs showed stakeholders how to create a myUSCIS account, how USCIS organizes online forms, how to file USCIS forms using myUSCIS, how to upload documentation, and how to resolve error messages. The agency encouraged use of its customer service tools that allow individuals to find case-related information without having to call the USCIS Contact Center or visit a field office. USCIS also provided a live demonstration of the myUSCIS platform using Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, as an example and displaying how to navigate through the online account.
A total of 559 stakeholders joined this webinar. Participants submitted approximately 150 written questions. From those, the CIS Ombudsman posed 32 questions to the USCIS SMEs on topics such as withdrawals, fee waivers, system-generated errors, and attorney concerns with the myUSCIS user experience.
Below is a sample of the questions received:
- How do I cancel/withdraw an application online? Is this option available in myUSCIS?
- Can applications be completed and submitted on a smartphone or can this only be done by using a computer?
- How can you sign up for case status notifications to be delivered to your email?
- Can myUSCIS be used to query and track the status of a paper application?
- If USCIS sends a Request for Evidence via the U.S. Postal Service, can the response be submitted online through the myUSCIS account?
The CIS Ombudsman will share a complete list of inquiries with USCIS to allow the agency to address the public's concerns. Additionally, you can find the engagement’s presentation below. To learn more about our other engagements, please visit our Public Engagement page for the latest updates.
- Phyllis A. Coven, CIS Ombudsman, DHS
- Bertha Anderson, Chief of Public Engagement at the CIS Ombudsman, DHS
- Jenny Penado, Policy Analyst at the CIS Ombudsman, DHS
- Janna Evans, Issue Resolution Lead at USCIS
- Leah Stewart, Issue Resolution Specialist at USCIS
- Quinn Andrus, Management and Program Analyst at USCIS
|Readout - Overview of myUSCIS for Applicants||123.6 KB||02/04/2022|
|Presentation - Overview of myUSCIS for Applicants||3.69 MB||02/07/2022|
|Questions and Answers - Overview of myUSCIS for Applicants||139.72 KB||02/28/2022|