The Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) develops and transitions technical capabilities that enhance U.S. maritime border security by safeguarding lawful trade and travel, help to prevent illegal use of the maritime environment to transport illicit goods or people, and enhance the safety and resilience of the maritime transportation system.
Watch Polar Scout—Space-based Sensors
Current R&D Activities
- Maritime Safety and Security Fact Sheet
- Arctic Communications and Technologies Fact Sheet
- Coastal Operations Analysis Suite of Tools (COAST)
- Polar Scout—Space-based Sensors Video
- Port and Coastal Surveillance Fact Sheet
- Port and Waterway Resiliency Fact Sheet
- Feature Article: How Autonomous Vessels Can Help the Coast Guard Safeguard Our Waters
- Snapshot: Overcoming the Tyranny of Distance in the Arctic
Centers of Excellence
- Maritime Awareness Security Center (MASC)–Led by the University of Alaska Anchorage and Stevens Institute of Technology, MASC develops technologies, products, and programs to enhance maritime security and resilience in dynamic marine environments.