The rapid increase in the availability and sophistication of UAS represents a significant challenge, as their capabilities progress faster than the ability to assess and mitigate the threat posed by nefarious small UAS.
The Science and Technology Directorate’s (S&T’s) program assesses C-UAS technologies both in laboratory and real-world operational environments and assists DHS Components in: developing and refining requirements, completing the Congressionally mandated 6 USC 124n process to test and evaluate prototype C-UAS capabilities at a covered asset or mission, and in executing limited-duration C-UAS technology pilots at DHS Component locations. The program also guides the development of new and innovative technologies to deliver critical C-UAS capabilities to DHS Components.
Watch Small Dark Aircraft Detection
- Countering Unmanned Aircraft Systems Fact Sheet
- 2017 Technical Assessment of Counter Unmanned Aerial Systems Technologies in Cities (TACTIC)
- Counter Unmanned Aircraft Systems Legal Authorities
- Enabling Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- First Responder Robotic Operations System Test (FRROST) Small UASs for Search and Rescue Focus Group Report
- Response and Defeat Operations Support (REDOPS)
- Safe Handling and Collection of Electronics (SHAKE)
- Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Test Methods
- Small Dark Aircraft Detection Video
The following technology is available either commercially or from S&T. Review for contact information.
- News Release: DHS S&T Awards $259M to Counter-Unmanned Aircraft System Threats
- Feature Article: Safely Handling Drones…S&T Has an App for That!
- New Release: S&T Funds Washington Startup to Test Metamaterial-Based Radar
- News Release: S&T Funds California Startup to Test SUAS for Improved Situational Awareness
- News Release: DHS S&T Awards $200K to San Diego's Planck Aerosystems Inc. for Final Testing of Small Unmanned Aircraft System
- News Release: DHS to Engage Innovative Small Businesses on National Road Tour
- News Release: DHS Small Business Innovation Research Program Awards 1,000th Contract
- News Release: DHS S&T and Israeli Partners Announce Call for Proposals for Advanced Technologies in Homeland Security
- Snapshot: Working with NASA to Secure Drone Traffic