The Science and Technology Directorate's (S&T) Long-Range Broad Agency Announcement (LRBAA) is a standing, open invitation to the scientific and technical communities to fund pioneering research and development (R&D) projects in support of our nation’s security. Its purpose is to advance our scientific and technical knowledge and to apply such advances to the department’s operational environments.
To learn more about the LRBAA submission process and current solicitations please visit S&T's LRBAA website and Solicitation Portal.
All of S&T’s divisions and special programs may receive submissions through the LRBAA website and Solicitation Portal. The website contains current research topics, links to the LRBAA 14-02 FedBizOps solicitation, and information on how to submit to a topic. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to read the entire solicitation.
- Research areas of strategic interest are provided in Part I of the LRBAA 14-02 solicitation.
- Part II describes the submission process, requirements, and evaluation criteria.
Successful submissions to the LRBAA answer questions such as, “What research problem do you propose to solve? How is your concept different from and superior to solutions currently available elsewhere? What data and analysis do you have to support the contention that funding your R&D project will result in a significant increase in capability for DHS?”
- The LRBAA is not allocated a pre-defined level of funding. As such, the provision of funds is an important consideration when an otherwise promising proposal is evaluated.
- Products that are available to the commercial marketplace or support services of any kind cannot be contemplated or purchased through the LRBAA in accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation.
- The LRBAA is expressly for original, state-of-the-art research or unique prototypes that require proof of concept.
- All submissions are peer reviewed.
- White paper evaluation results are normally provided in 90 days or less from the date of submission, however, the evaluation process can take longer in certain situations.
More detailed information about the LRBAA research areas of strategic interest, submission requirements and evaluation criteria may be accessed on the LRBAA website and Solicitation Portal.